In a nutshell, if we knew for sure how to make a fortune uploading a video onto YouTube then of course we would have done it (and we’d be lying on a beach somewhere hot and fabulous right now!) Previously we’ve written posts on families who’ve been earning £50K to £100K a year just from their video. And now another video viral has been revealed…
Clever Dad Lee O’Donoghue managed to catch a cute little exchange between his daughter Delilah, 4 and Gabriel, 2. According to the Sunday Times Gabriel had been spitting at other boys in the playground and as the pair sat on a park bench, Delilah gave him a little telling off.
Lee duly posted his little clip on YouTube and You Need To Toughen Up a Bit has since become an internet sensation attracting more than 320,000 viewers around the world. As it has since been posted on Mail Online and other newspaper websites that will ensure even more success for this little film.
So how to get started?
According to this little article, you should:
* Become a YouTube partner which allows you to display ads on your videos. At the same time you must have a Google Adsense account for your earnings to go into.
* Grow your audience on YouTube. When your audience is a certain size, YouTube will look at your offering. I have to say however that the numbers are huge – author Daniel Socco quotes at least 1000 subscribers, at least 1000 views on all your videos and at least 10,000 channel views. And these are the bare minimum requirements apparently.
* Get videos out there regularly. This means you must continually be making little videos and uploading them – easier said than done if you’re busy with your regular job…!
* Develop a brand around your videos. So this means creating a logo, website and customising your YouTube channel.
* You must ensure your content has zero copyrighted material because infringing copyright could be disastrous.
What sort of films go viral?
Once you’ve got all that in place you just have to make that brilliant viral video.
According to an expert in this article, viral videos have the following in common:
* Fits into one of the following – it is either a parody of something popular, incredibly cute or amazing (did that just happen sort of video.)
* It surprises the viewer, and takes the viewer on an emotional roller coaster. It should also be short – we all have minute attention spans these days.
* Elicits a strong emotion or reaction from the viewer. Often it will touch everyone – whatever language – a laughing baby or a funny pet for example.
* It needs to have some views. A bit of a catch 22 this – but obviously if a video has two views you might not think it will be very good. If it has 2 million you might watch it because it has 2 million.
We would add it also needs some luck and something that hasn’t been seen before – an elusive something that hooks viewers or a celebrity with zillions of Twitter followers …
Have you made a YouTube video that has been successful? What tips can you share? Let us know below…! And if you have made a great video why not send us the link – if we like it, we can gain you national coverage…